Thursday, March 15, 2012

My fave photo apps...beginning with Instagram!

***ETA: July 2013  Since this post...I now have my own app: Rhonna Designs Photo Editing App!  See my app HERE in the App Store and HERE are a bunch of How-To Video Tutorials! 
Seriously...this app has CHANGED the way I edit my photos for Instagram, blogs, printing out...it's changed my life! *wink* and no...I'm NOT being dramatic!

This ONE app has replaced most of the ones below...
_____________


I've had lots of questions about HOW I edit my photos that I post on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook. So, rather than copying & pasting my responses to hundreds of ya..I figured a blog post was in order. So...I'm sharing my TOP TEN fave photo apps!

My phone camera is one of my fave Creativity Tools I use everyday with my Creativity Exercises...seriously...this has changed my creative life! So, I'm always thinking of ways to capture, create & then share...in real time!
Enter....

1. Instagram~ free
Pros: My fave place/community to upload. Yes, I've tried other communities, like Hipstamatic, My365, etc...but, this feels like my home. I love the filters, friends, etc. So...I go through various other apps to get the look I want & eventually post them to IG (Instagram) in the end.
Come & follow me: @RhonnaFarrer

Cons: limited in versatility...not type/text. but, hey...it's free!


2. Picture Show~ $1.99
Pros: Best bang for your buck.  If you only want to purchase one extra app, this is my fave. You can add bokeh, fab frames, text, tons of filters, light leaks, crop, noise, blur, and more. I had this one for a long time & it did everything I wanted, but then I ventured out for more fun.

Cons: hmm...i can't find one..i really love this one!

3. Phonto~ free
Pros: Best Font/Type/Text app I've found...it has TONS of various fonts & you can change colors, tilts, fonts, sizes AND the opacity...which is fab to me. I love this one!

Cons: again...can't find any. I am really happy with this one!


4. PicFrame~ $.99
Pros:  This is the app I use to create diptychs, triptychs, & split them up to make collages.  I know there are other apps like this, but this is the first one I got & didn't feel the need to buy more that does basically the same thing...You can round corners, change the color of the  frame & move the size of the frames.

Cons: only about 20 various frames...I know some apps have more options...but, hey! It works for me!


5. Labelbox~ $.99
Pros: Ok...for the dymo label look, masking tape, scotch tape....this is great. You can buy *add-on* tapes for $.99 cents more, too! I bought the set with the doily tape in it & I love it!

Cons: I'm not fond of the fonts/text that comes with it...so, I add my own in some. (i.e. Me no likey the 'light' font on the below pic...I was learning at the time! LOL)


6. Lenslight~ $.99
Pros: This is a VERY fun light app. I'm talking, various bokeh, lens flares, light leaks, cloud rays, sparkles, halo rings...& even the sun, moon, lightning & rain. You can add 1 on top of the other & even adjust the opacity..I love that about this app!

Cons: Not much to complain about on this one..I've been very happy!

7. Filter Mania~ free
Pros: This one is FAB! It has very unique frames, filters & lighting.  Some a little over the top, but really  cool ones! (The above wings & crown is one of them~ And this TIME photo...see the grungey/words in it? Yea..it's this app! cool, huh?)

Cons: Since the filters are so funky...they don't look good on all photos...but, it's fun to experiment!


8. Maskingtape~$.99
Pros: This is one of my faves to add a little *flair* to my photos. With the swipe of your finger, you have TONS of washi/decorative tapes in tons of colors. To 'undo' you just double tap & *poof* it's gone!

Cons: Not a one, IMHO.


9. Pixlromatic/ Picture Magic~ both free. both equally used by me.
Pros: I had to lump these together because I really couldn't pick one or the other...they are both for the same thing: cool frames, light filters, and bokeh... And I have found that there are specific frames or lightings that I like for certain photos in each of the apps.
...but, I do have to say, I think I like Pixlromatic a tidge better....see for yourself..they are both free...come on...have some fun!

Cons: Picture Magic seems to freeze more for me...ugh. And, when you open it up it ALWAYS asks if you want to buy the full version. Gets a little buggy.

10. Picfx~ $1.99
Pros: Fab frames, cross processes, vintage & classic filters, & I am in LOVE with the bokeh filters...they are giving Lens Light a run for their money! One of my fave things is: You can rotate the bokeh filters...I haven't found that in any other Light app!
Cons: The ONLY thing I wish it would do is give you the ability to adjust the Opacity levels in the lights.
'das all. 

So, here's a snippet of my process:
1. Take Photo: I normally just take my photo in the 'Camera' or 'Pro Camera'..they are both sitting next to each other, & which ever one I hit...I snap away. THEN, it's stored in my Camera Roll & I can go in later & edit as I wish. 
2. Add filters: I then, go into my fave apps above to see what will enhance the photo. If I"m in a 'photo collage' mood, out comes Pic Frame. Or if I just want a subtle light leak & cool bokeh, I'll go for Picture Show.
3. Add Text: Here's where I'll add Labelbox, Phonto....or whatever I want.
4. Add flair: This can be the decorative washi tapes in Maskingtape, or some of the faces in Finger Faces...LOL...whatever I want!

And, yes, each of these steps saves in my Camera Roll...so, I go in & delete the unnecessary ones!

REally....this all depends on me, how much time I have & what kind of mood I'm in. If I have a few minutes waiting in the car for my kids' carpool, out comes my phone & away I go!
Sometimes, I only have time to do the Instagram stuff...no worries. just have fun!


Now...here are some honorable mentions that deserve a little shout out:
iDarkroom: $1.99
Pros: I do like this one. It's got a lot of the regular photo editing features, and I LOVE the various bokehs' they have: flowers, hearts, FUN ones!
Cons: For some reason, this one isn't my 'go-to'...but I do use it a bit.

BlendCam: free
Pros: This is a funky one that allows you to blend photos together...cool effects!
Cons: Again, this one isn't in my day to day tool box, but it's fun to have!

Tag Writer Pro: .$99
Pros: This is a fun one like Labelbox that lets you do some fun tags on your photies.
Cons: There's a free one; but very limited. The Pro version has more, but again...I only use it sometimes.

iLabeler, Vintage Cam, Lemme Cam, Pic Collage....all are fun, but for their purposes, I've found the above apps to be my fave.

One that I have LOVED (or my KIDS have loved) is the Finger Face app: $.99
We've had many a laughs over this one...one to play & enjoy with the family!

Ok...that does it...those are my Top Ten Faves! Again, you may or may not agree with me, but this is what I use & what I love!
I always LOVE to hear about new ones, so please share YOUR fave apps with me!
Happy Thursday!


74 comments:

Cher~ said...

Quick question - I've tried a few apps, but then when it is time to take a picture, I lose the moment by not knowing which app to pick or I can't remember how to change settings on a particular app. Any suggestions for staying organized with a variety of photo apps?

Rhonna Farrer said...

Great question, Cher!
I normally just take my photo in the 'Camera' or 'Pro Camera'..they are both sitting next to each other, & which ever one I hit...I snap away. THEN, it's stored in my Camera Roll & I can go in later & edit as I wish. HTH!
R

Leah C said...

This is fabulous, Rhonna!! Thank you so much for sharing these apps:) I'm fairly new to Instagram and have admired your pics {they rock!} and wondered "how did she do that?!"...now I know! IG is going to be so much more fun {and addicting} now;)

Alicia said...

Other than following links that people post on twitter or FB, I can't be a part of the Instagram Club as I have an Android :( However, I LOVE your pics that you post and I've downloaded some of the apps that I can to see what I can try with my phone. Thanks for sharing what you use, it's truly inspiring!

Do you know of any savvy Android photo app users in the blogosphere?

Michelle M in CA said...

Thanks so much Rhonna! I have been following your instagrams...I love all the extra touches you use on your posts... now I can do this too! You are so awesome to share! Thanks again for your inspiration and creativity!

Rhonna Farrer said...

Thanks guys..so fun to share, huh?
Alicia...I"m not sure of anyone...maybe your question will bring out a lurker! Share ideas, girls! :)
R

Amy said...

TFS your list! When I first got my iPhone I took photos in the filter (etc.) apps. It took me awhile to figure out that I can edit after the fact. I downloaded a few of the freebies you listed.

Alicia said...

Very cool post. I use a lot of the apps you listed and some are new to me. I'm already downloading the new ones!

Thanks for sharing.

Claudia said...

OMG!!!! Thank YOU Rhonna. I just got my I-phone & love instagram but felt overwhelmed by all the photo apps. I've found some already that I like but I noticed features on your pics that I couldn't find anywhere. You ROCK!!! A million thanks.
FYI, I still can't quite remember all the features of all the apps so I do just like you and have all camera and then all most used apps in one folder next to each other. It helps me stay on top. One thing I noticed with some apps like vintage cam is that you have to edit the pic right after taking it. I cannot figure out how to take pics and then edit them with this app later. Thanks again :)

Julie {CalleLillyCafe} said...

Thank you for sharing! Some of these I already use but the others, I will check out asap! =)

Jynene said...

...your cheerful generosity never ceases to amaze me! thanks so much for sharing this post and these apps! can't wait to try some of these new fun ones.
hugs. jynene

Missy said...

Love these ideas - especially about the "later edit"! I too have an Android - I like it so much better than my iPhone - BUT I am sooo wanting Instragram for it :)
Persnickity Prints posted about it coming soon in Beta mode...hope it does this time.

Jamie said...

loving all these apps- i had several of them, but not all :) i'd love to recommend the Collageday app- you can add stickers, change the fonts & their size, masking tape, and any fun little things :)
thank you so much for sharing these! i'll be sure to check out your Instagram feed :) I'm there too!

nest of posies said...

such a great round up of apps! i'm addicted!

in regards to Alicia's question...===GOOD NEWS! i heard yesterday that Android is getting the instagram app! i think it's coming really soon!

yay for droid users. you all will love IG!

Hildie said...

One of my most used apps is Touch Retouch. It is an awesome app that lets you retouch pictures super easily right on your phone. I hated having to upload my pics to my computer just to get rid of a zit or a shadow. The clone tool alone is worth the $$. Then again it's only 99¢.

It works very differently than photoshop but it's got a couple of great tutorials.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Thanks Rhonna! I love stuff like this, and I've always loved all your IG pics. It will be fun to play around on a few of these! :)

jamie said...

Rhonna...great post!
Learned so much.
I too am a droid user and love pixlr-o-mat ic. I also get a lot of use out of the filters from LittlePhoto. And happy to see that label box is new to the droid world recently.
Looking hard for a good light/filter app...have not found yet.
Same with a font app.
And yes...android is getting the instagram soonish.
Thanks again for sharing your loves.
~j

Gretchen Black said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

HeyNiceCardigan said...

Hi Rhonna, just found your blog via Pinterest, this is such a great post, thanks for sharing.

Amy Xxx

Bettina said...

Thanks for sharing these! I found your blog through a pin on Pinterest and am so glad I did! Such creative posts, I had to add you to my bloglovin' reader ASAP!

josefina said...

Thanks so much for sharing these! I find myself taking more pics on my phone than with my camera these days and these apps are just what I need.

mish.sunshine said...

amazing! thank you for the ideas, I just broke down and got my iphone on Thursday. Needless to say, I'm already an addict!

Lisa said...

I'm so happy I found your blog! I've been wanting an app that allows me to add bokeh to my pictures. I downloaded Picture Show but my bokeh doesn't look like the one in your picture. Mine comes out a lot bigger. Are you using a different app? Thanks for your help!

photography4me said...

Thank You! Thank You! I was so happy that I was able to get most of these apps on my ipad.

I too have an android phone.....try retro camera Alicia....it is on the same lines as instagram.

Farmgirl Paints said...

you rock...thank you for sharing this. just got instagram on my droid phone and i'm in heaven...so fun! now i'm off to follow you:)

Yael said...

Nice apps! I am definately going to try some. I also like: Hipstamatic. It is paid (i paid 1,59 euro i think)
I looks great when you use it.Has nice filters and you can use different flashlight.

{connie} said...

thank you, THANK you, THANK YOU!! i am always showing people your wonderful ig pics and now i can tell them how to do it as well. you are one talented momma and i'm thankful i get to share a little of my creativity through your aRt. love you!!

Anonymous said...

I have a droid and just downloaded instagram :-)

Kristen Duke Photography said...

LOVE this!!! THank you so much!!!

Amanda said...

labelbox is free now, i went and got each one u said, thanks!!

amorette said...

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

You are my hero! I'm so photoshop un-savvy that these apps will let me do the fun things I want, but more quickly! I just bought your instagram pack too - I cannot WAIT to get going!!

InstagramFollower said...

Nice tips to really help me make my images come to life. Having great images will help you also get a lot more followers. you can get lots of followers at instagramfollowerhub.com

Buy Instagram Followers said...

Great list! There's no doubt that Instagram is the most popular and superior among all of them. Nevertheless, there are few photo apps that are great too such as Lenslight and Maskingtape.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love the app ideas you've given! But do you know if these are for iphone use only?

von lockerwood said...

Camera+ is the best photography app I have on my iPhone. It offers a unique set of tools and filters to edit an existing image or create a new image. Its fun and very easy to use!

AllenCarlos said...

I really like all the additional variations you use on your content... now I can do this too! You are so amazing to share! Thanks again for your motivation and creativity!

Anonymous said...

I love this product my very good friend who

is a hairstylist recommended this to me and I have loved it. It's a great product. I have always had naturally curly hair and frizzy when I have dried to round brush it straight. With 1-2 pumps my hair is

silky smooth! The smell also is very nice! I always hated stinky hair products and this one I do not mind at all smelling. It has been a wonderful product for me so far. I've had it now for about 2 weeks

now.

Anonymous said...

I am mixed with white and black so I have really really thick curly hair. I have never used any product that does as much as this one. I blow dry my hair until it's just damp and then put a ton of this

cream on it and it loosens my curls and they stay soft and without frizz all day long! I love this product so much, the only thing that sucks is how fast i go through it. I would recommend this product to

anyone with curls!! I would be happy to answer any questions about it!

Anonymous said...

Hi mates, its enormous post regarding cultureand
entirely defined, keep it up all the time.
My homepage ; warz aimbot

Gabs-Art said...

Thanks for sharing - it's a great list!

And Alicia: Instagram is on Android since April 2012 - so go and get it! It's fun!

Anonymous said...

My developer is trying tο convinсe mе
to movе to .net from ΡHP. I have alwaуs dіsliked thе idea becausе of the costs.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WorԁPress on νаrious webѕiteѕ for about а уеаr and аm ωorrіed аbout switching to anothеr рlatform.
I have hеаrd good things about blogengine.
net. Iѕ thеre a way I cаn import all my ωordpгеss posts
into it? Any help ωoulԁ be reallу appreciated!



My blоg рost :: pikavippii.Net
Stop by my web site pikavippi

Anonymous said...

Comment puis-je écrire un blog introduction d'un nouveau site de réseautage au social?

rica go said...

Hi! Someone shared this website with me so I came to look it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Wonderful blog and amazing design.
get instagram followers fast

JamesEdward said...

Hi to all,

I am newbie to the discussion to the blog.I would like to share about the instagram services.For more information:Buy Instagram Followers

AmandaJayne said...

What a great article. Such good stuff to be thinking about. Thanks for sharing!

buy real instagram followers

albina N muro said...

To make a long story short, LOVE my husband of 18 years, LOVE my 2 cool kids, Dylan 14 & Holly 8, LOVE hanging with family and friends, LOVE teaching 2nd grade and most importantly, LOVE my Savior & Lord Jesus Christ.buy instagram followers $5

Calvin Brock said...

Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it? Buy real instagram followers

Calvin Brock said...

What a good blog you have here. Please update it more often. This topics is my interest. Thank you. . . Buy real instagram followers

Appsta said...

I love your app and happy to find it in the app store , but I need to learn this app more, The video tutorial link is not working!!

@ Author,

Can you please update this link or share another tutorial link?

pushwizard in Florida said...

iPhone apps can transform your phone into something different and you may now learn the most effective way. Your post is something worth reading and entertaining.

buy Instagram likes said...

Well this is really a informative post and I am glad to read such a great post. I came to your site by mistake but from now I am going to read all of your posts. Great! If you buy instagram likes , you will have the chance to double number of individuals which are following you.

Shawn Anderson said...

Love your blog,I would also want to share my own knowledge on how to gain instagram likes fast and easy.Click this get more instagram likes. Instagram likes providers but I like this one because it's cheaper and proven effective.

Marcos Drake said...

Instagram is my #1 too and using PicStitch along with it helps me keep my existing instagram followers and bring in more free Instagram followers too.

Sheamus Warior said...

These are truly amongst the wonderful informative blogs.
landscape

Charles Flaum said...

Very cool post. Battery Led Picture Light

Anonymous said...

try Instafuion app.....it has a very easy and beautiful interface.....i just love this app....

Maxwell said...

Its an smart world and we need to be smarter than ever before if we want to cope up with this or else we will stay back whereas everyone will move forward. Whenever we post a pic on any of the social media a very important point to be taken care of is to post a well edited photo and to do so you need to edit it with a good editing software like Green Screen software or faceit app and many more softwares are available in the market. But choosing the best is the most important thing.

srijan said...


i use instaglass app to edit my photos...it works wonderfully.

Anonymous said...

I have a Samsung galaxy 3 and my downloaded just fine

Rachel Rich said...

hi.. i really used this app such a nice app to use. i also have business about this field recently i launch a new photo editing App which is Follow life editing scrapbook App .it's very easy to use and download.

Anand Upadhye said...

What a masterpiece of photos you have shared with us, thanks. Photo editing apps are useful to give extra colors and style to your snap. Download best apps for photo editing

Makayla Charleston said...

I also like your favorite photo's app. And it's very helpful for me. Thanks.
clipping path

Rachel Rich said...

I really like this information And it's very helpful for me. Thanks. i think we both are related to same field. we also have this type of service which is Followlife photo editing scrapbook App.

Rachel Rich said...

Hi. i really used this app such a nice app to use. i also have business about this field recently i launch a new photo editing App which is Follow life editing scrapbook App .it's very easy to use and download.

Erin R. Brewer said...

Wow! It's awesome blog post here.... really very interesting for reading.....




clipping mask

vabna islam said...


Nice Blog, I like this kind of Blog. Thanks for admin who creat this site. A fun, new social website where you can post pictures,videos and compete to see whose is the best. Come see what we're about Like this page
photo sharing

Micheal Adams said...

This information is very interesting, I really enjoyed, I would like get more information about this, because is very beautiful, thanks for sharing!
clippingpath

jason.b maxon said...

Interesting information.The Truth Plus Sensitivity, Specificity and All That Is Decent to Reveal About Predictive Values This theme serves to educate people in their daily life, thanks to people like you we have more knowledge about this important issue.
clipping path service company

Rachel Rich said...

This is very ultimate information for me. we also have amazing editing scrapbook App which is called followlife. you can download this app using by the following link: http://bit.ly/1iJGQ73

john gates said...

Hello friends .friends i have very cool idea for all. now friends you can make your own app in just some clicks at very cheap cost than others .TO make your own app just click app creator . here in just some clicks your app is ready

mst. latifa begum said...


Nice Blog, I like this kind of Blog. Thanks for admin who creat this site. A fun, new social website where you can post pictures,videos and compete to see whose is the best. Come see what we're about Like this page
best photo sharing site

polo outlet said...

http://www.superbagsmarket.com/
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/louis-vuitton-bags-c-1.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/hermes-bags-c-2.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/prada-bags-c-3.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/chanel-bags-c-4.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/gucci-bags-c-5.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/burberry-bags-c-6.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/celine-bags-c-7.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/balenciaga-bags-c-8.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/christian-dior-bags-c-9.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/chloe-bags-c-10.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/bvlgari-bags-c-11.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/bally-bags-c-12.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/coach-bags-c-13.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/michael-kors-bags-c-14.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/mcm-bags-c-15.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/fendi-bags-c-16.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/mulberry-bags-c-17.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/marc-jacobs-bags-c-18.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/miu-miu-bags-c-19.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/ysl-bags-c-20.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/tory-burch-bags-c-21.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/givenchy-bags-c-22.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/ferragamo-bags-c-23.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/lancel-bags-c-24.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/loewe-bags-c-25.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/tods-bags-c-26.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/paul-smith-bags-c-27.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/dg-bags-c-28.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/alexander-wang-bags-c-29.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/bottega-veneta-bags-c-30.html
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/specials.html
http://www.guccishoesuk-2014.com/
http://www.polo-ralphlaurenonline.com/
http://www.michaelkors-mas.com/
http://www.thebeatsbydre.net/
http://www.northsclearance.com/
http://www.michaelkorsstates.com/
http://www.ralph-laurenhome.com/
http://www.polo-outletstore.com/
http://www.oakleysunglassesfactory.com/
http://www.canada-gooser.com/
http://www.monsterbeatsbydres.com/
http://www.michaelkors.so/
http://www.burbagssale2014.com/
http://www.salongchamppairs.com/
http://www.newcoachfactoryoutlet.com/
http://www.north-faceoutletonlines.net/
http://www.barbour-jacketsoutlet.com/
http://www.marcjacobsonsale.com/
http://www.coachxfactory.com/
http://www.moncler-jacketsoutletonline.com/
http://www.mcmworldwides.com/
http://www.woolrich-clearance.com/
http://www.superbagsmarket.com/
http://www.nike-jordanshoes.com/
http://www.moncler-clearance.com/

Bradontom said...

This one is amazing. Thanks for a worth share!!
I use Followlife
for the same - that one is also awesome app. you must try it and share your experience.
Download here - https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id757770190?mt=8

Photos said...

Cool photographing editing